the arts file

The Arts File:

A one stop shop for all things arts related, this blog will profile music, film, artwork, books, etc., that either you should know about, or just completely ignore.

Monday, January 18, 2010

"War Dances"

Who: Sherman Alexie

What: Collection of short stories and prose.

Why: Alexie's new collection again has made me stop and think. How can one person come up with such honest, blunt fictional characters and stories when they seem so real? He once again tells stories of real, everyday people. People who struggle to live and survive in this world or even in their culture and community. People who have families and jobs. He has a way of making ordinary people be extraordinary in his stories. These stories seem so real, that I find it crazy to think they could be fiction. He is the most vivid present-day storyteller imaginable. Once again, he has me in awe after finishing his book. His stories, for me, are mini films in my mind. I envision his characters like I'm watching a movie. I even cast some famous and not-so-famous actors in my film of his stories. I can do this only because of his writing. He is so descriptive in his characters and story lines that it amazes me every time. They are so soulful and so full of metaphors it is scary. But, at the same time, you get surprised by how shockingly blunt he can be. I suggest everyone read something from him to completely understand what I mean. This, as well as all his other collections of stories and poems, is humorous, insightful and just plain ridiculous at times. I can't wait to see what he comes sup with next.

Highlight Story: Tie--The Ballad of Paul Nonetheless and The Senator's Son. Both stories give an insight into the minds of ordinary men with differing problems.

Favorite Poem/Prose: Ode to Mixed Tapes. Anyone who remembers making mixed tapes really doesn't need an explanation of why I would like this. Why shouldn't we give an ode to mix tapes! It's a lost art form.


Cover photo from: http://www.fallsapart.com/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment