the arts file

The Arts File:

A one stop shop for all things arts related, this blog will profile music, film, artwork, books, etc., that either you should know about, or just completely ignore.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Santigold

Who: Santi White from Brooklyn, NY.
Why: I am fascinated by her. She unlike any artist I have heard or even seen. Not all of her music sounds the same. Her genre "label" on MySpace says New Wave/Dub/Psychobilly. Interesting. She has been compared to The Yeah Yeah Yeahs and M.I.A., but she is different from either of them. Very unique. There are elements of Indie Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop and definitely 80s New Wave in her music, but I could not classify her into any one of these. And, well, just look at her photos on her MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/santigold. She's got style. Her and her friends definitely remind me of Willaimsburg, BK. Ah Williamsburg. I miss you so.

Other reasons why you should listen, although she has been labeled Hip-Hop, Rap and R & B, she has said she doesn't like R & B. Check out this interview of her calling these comparisons racist: http://www.nme.com/news/santogold/36709

P.S. She also has been noted as saying that Devo is her "ultimate favorite band." Wow. I think I am in love.

Highlight song (for me): "Lights Out"
From the album: Santogold
Why: Her voice. Delicate, hypnotic. Plus, emerged within an Indie Rock background, oh my. I'm obsessed. Kinda reminds me of something ... oh, Blondie.

Album cover photo from http://www.myspace.com/santigold

1 comment:

  1. I have listened to this cd too much!
    Her videos are fun.

    ReplyDelete